In contemporary orthodontics most disorders relating to tooth and jaw positioning can be resolved after the full development of permanent teeth (from ten to thirteen years of age) with fixed orthodontic appliances. This is the orthodontist’s appliance which is placed on the teeth using an adhesive technique. It consists of braces and wires that realign the teeth.
Fixed orthodontic appliances, with respect to the material, can be:
– Aesthetic (composite, ceramic, sapphire)
Fixed orthodontic appliances with regard to the mechanism of action, i.e. the way in which the wire is attached in brackets are divided into:
– Conventional (binding, ie, the wire in brackets is connected with ligature wire or bands)
– Adhesive – self-ligating (braces which have a mechanism that closes the wire in brackets by itself)
ADVANTAGES OF THE SELF-LIGATING BRACKETS ARE:
• Significantly reduced time of wearing brackets (reduced friction between the wire and brackets using less force)
• More comfortable therapy – without pain (due to reduced friction and less force)
• Reduced need for common check-ups
• Easier to maintain oral hygiene
• Significantly less need for extraction of permanent teeth even at high compression (Huddled teeth)
In our clinic, except conventional fixed orthodontic treatment (metal and plastic), we use the most advanced systems of self-ligating bracec and and the most elastic thermoactive wires: IN-OVATION, DAMON CLEAR, QUICK, and T1. This significantly helps the patient wearing the brackets and halves the time of wearing fixed orthodontic appliances compared to conventional methods.
ADVANTAGES OVER THE LABIAL TECHNIQUE:
• Invisible (because of the position on the inner side of the teeth)
• Much more efficient (because of the position of the bracket closer to the center of rotation of the tooth), hence much faster therapy (3 to 6 months)
• Comfortable for the patient (and small rounded brackets do not interfere with the tongue)
• Easy to clean (with no impact on the salivary glands)
In our clinic, we use the most advanced In-Ovation L lingual braces, which can be applied on all teeth in the arch, or only on the six front teeth.